What we do?
BARNET COVID-19 MUTUAL AID - What we do?
In short we are a volunteer service helping people who are self-isolating as a last line where people have no one else to turn to. We also share information of help from different sources so everyone can get the help they need.
The Government will provide to extremely vulnerable people - if you have not received a letter and fall under the categories in the Guidance, then please go to Register Here. Note: after registering you will need to contact your GP or Clinician who will have to confirm that you fall under this category and current feedback is that process is not fully setup so may take time.
Barnet Council will also provide help, so if you need help please go to Barnet Council Help.
If you have family and friends to help you shop, check up on you etc that is great. Unfortunately there are many people at the moment that don't have anyone right now and that is where we come in and help. You can ask for help at helpme.mutualaid.co.uk - you can register for yourself or if you know someone without Internet access you can register for them.
This is a volunteer service and the demands are great, so we have to prioritise, but we have awesome volunteers going out of their way to help. You can see where our volunteers are located by going to map.mutualaid.co.uk and putting in your postcode in the search window.
We are always looking for Volunteers, their act of kindness makes a world of difference to their vulnerable neighbours, if you would like to help please sign up at signup.mutualaid.co.uk - we would love to have you.
Additionally, we have local WhatsApp groups that can be used to connect with some near neighbours which is great as it is easier for you to help each other.
Alternatively, you may leave a voicemail with us on 020 31 377 488 and we will call you back to organise a volunteer.
If you would like to help us with a donation to cover the expenses we have - please go to https://opencollective.com/barnetmutualaid
Monday, 20 April 2020
Dear residents and volunteers,
This is our first weekly UK Mutual Aid newsletter to keep you all informed and updated on our grassroots efforts in responding to COVID-19 here in Barnet.
Except for this edition, the newsletter will be shared each Sunday and will bring you news and updates from our various volunteer teams that have come together over the last month to deliver aid to residents.
* Our operator team has been hard at work since 18th of March and have connected over 700 help requests with local volunteers, charities, other Mutual Aid groups around us and the Barnet council COVID-19 helpline (0808 281 3210)
* Jesus House has referred their volunteers to help in our operator team.
* If you’d like to join the operator team and help match volunteers with residents in need of help, please PM me for details.
* You need minimum a few hours free each week to make calls and basic spreadsheet skills.
* Our pharmacy team have grown rapidly over the last two weeks.
* We now cover Landys, Landys Express, Westlake, Boots in Temple Fortune, as well as Warman Freed, Victoria Pharmacy and Boots in Golders Green.
* Pharmacy team have delivered 63 prescriptions last week and 151 prescriptions since they started.
* Landys have donated hand sanitisers and gloves to protect our pharmacy volunteers.
Community Organisers team
* We’ve started a new team of community organisers who are helping us reach local communities where we are less well known and work with schools, charities, pharmacies, GP surgeries across Barnet.
* They have also been able to print leaflets to encourage outreach in Barnet.
* Reach out to charities and organisations within Barnet: HomeStart, Age UK, Barnet Community HelpHub who we hope to be working alongside.
* They are hoping to start a new pharmacy team soon in East Finchley.
Food Hub team
* The Claremont Road NW2 food hub is expected to be ready by next week once all equipment and tools have been delivered and installed.
* The food hub team is currently asking people to submit their expression of interest in the food hub’s services by filling out this form at foodhub.mutualaid.co.uk
* They are looking to deliver hundred of free hot and frozen meals to people, families and groups that are struggling to feed themselves in these economically uncertain times.
* Our marketing team have been able to secure 1500 volunteer badges that will be delivered next week.
* If you’ve been volunteering and helping residents with shopping, prescription and other services, you can PM Paloma to pick up a volunteers badge which can be worn to identify yourself when delivering services to residents.
* If you haven’t followed us on social media, please comment, like, share and subscribe to our updates on social media.
* Tag us @UKMutualAid or use #UKMutualAid
* As of Monday 20th April, we have a total of 1,762 volunteers registered with UK Mutual Aid. Our first sign up was on the 15th of March.
* We have received 748 help requests since the 18th of March.
* 533 are marked as DONE, this means the help request has been completed.
* 124 are CONNECTED, this means operators will check in on them in a few days to ensure requests have been completed.
* 54 are still in progress where we are finding the right volunteer, group, or charity to respond.
* 31 are repeat requests from the same residents.
* 6 are currently waiting for an operator to connect them.
* To volunteer, go to join.mutualaid.co.uk
* To ask for help, go to helpme.mutualaid.co.uk
* To check if there are volunteers nearby, go to map.mutualaid.co.uk
* To express interest in free food service, go to foodhub.mutualaid.co.uk
If there is anything you’d like me to highlight on the next weekly newsletter (This Sunday), please PM.